Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Alright team, huddle up.

So I think we ought to instill some discipline into this thing. And I think I have an idea of how to do it. Here's my thought:

What if, for the month of August, we each commit to doing one doodle or drawing a day, on some sort of theme. And we will each update here once a week with our seven drawings. Or daily, one drawing a piece, but that might be an overwhelming amount of updates.

For instance, I though I would draw one animal a day for a month. To make it interesting and relieve myself the torture of coming up with an animal, and a medium daily, I will limit myself to only pen and ink, on a 6x6 (or so) piece of paper, and I will ask a friend every day for their favorite animal. By the end of August I will have 30 ink drawings, some of which are bound to not be crap, and I'll hopefully be a pro at pen and ink.

Animals are just a suggestion, it could be monsters, strangers, plants, girls, dudes, or whatever. It might be interesting to all do the same category, or we could each pick something different. But if we all commit to doing a drawing a day, we can motivate each other, and then see lots of awesome art go up on this blog!

What do you guys think? Suggestions welcome.

-Breg

2 comments:

  1. BREG- thanks for being the only person in this initiative I can love. I am definitely down for this challenge. And guys, another thought, we could all consider preparing a show... maybe for the winter? or... something. ha! i love the sketch idea, so i mean, if anyone has any specific goals, like get a dummy book together, or something, maybe we should define that, and that way we can progress. I have been sketching quite a lot lately, thinking about a show I may be doing with Andrew and Katie and Anna in october. So mostly i've been working on faces. I think I have some interesting stuff going. I will post more, but I dunno... maybe i WONT until someone else does!!! <3 you cats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I like it. I have been totally undisciplined lately and I feel so out of touch with you guys (my own fault). I am all for setting the goal of one drawing per day and themes are a great idea. You all just have to promise to get on me to actually stick with it. I have a bad habit of starting out all strong and excited about something and then after a week or so kind of pooping out. I think it would be fun to pick our own themes... I've been kind of playing with the idea of creating monster-like characters/creatures inspired by different patterns, textures, etc. that I find in the landscape/ environment around me. It all sounds a bit complicated, but it's really not. I also like the idea of a show, maybe we could keep that in mind when we're doing our sketches... think about ways to expand upon them. I don't know. Anyway, thank you Brendan for picking up the ball and trying to get everyone going!
    miss you all! :)

    ReplyDelete