Monday, September 5, 2011

Heya!


HEY TEAM! Long time no chat. Damn!! No good! I am tickled by the news that our good friend Brendan may be moving up to NYC in October. WHOOPEE!! Nyc is a very demanding place, in that it demands you figure out who you are and what you want (yay!). It has certainly done this for me this last year. I went through a lot this year including my first real heart break, an intense job, losing a friend unexpectedly, suffering severe depression, and finding myself and *drum roll* my sexuality. Out of pushing past my comfort zone in life, I have grown the balls to TRY and do so in my art, too! Yall should check out my newer blog where I'm just doodling a lot : virginiadidntdie.tumblr.com

I have been encouraged by a couple people to pursue creating a graphic novel or at least a sample book. I am starting that slowly. I will post a recent test page I did just to practice framing and such. I also am looking at "Manfred's Trouble of Being Great," and think I can salvage the project if I cut out A LOT of the exposition and focus more on the body of the story. Also I need to cut out about 60 to 80% of the words. Eek! I am also starting my story about the sideburns except now its about a moustache. I designed two of the characters and started writing just a little.

CHAD - the super heroes look good! What kinds of things could you do with your fancy with creating likenesses? Maybe a licensing brand? You can create a whole world of stylized characters from other shows, movies, and comics. Also, did you ever experiment with painting gouache over the marker for some points of opaque highlight + detailing?

ANNELISE

5 comments:

  1. Annelise! It has been far too long. We are in dire need of a catch-up. I am usually pretty free whenever, so just gimme a call when you aren't working or too busy being awesome. I like that you have some projects outlined for yourself and I am super excited to see how they turn out! Post things as you go along so we can see the progress!

    Also: I have actually never touched gouache in my life. So no, I haven't tried that, but it definitely sounds like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Hey!!

    I love the idea of you creating a graphic novel... I can already imagine the way you might approach the style and storytelling in your amazing Annelise way! Also, I approve of altering your sideburns story to be about a mustache. Very comical :)

    I echo Chad in saying that it's been too long since we had a heart-to-heart and I shall try to remedy that soon!

    Much love!
    -Christina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just checked out your new blog... adore it! Bookmarked! If those are doodles, I can't wait to see some more finished pieces! Really, I can tell you've started to push some boundaries... congratulations. If you need a critique or help with growing pains, just let me know. As usual, I'm always here :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. annelise,

    It is excellent to hear you've powered (are powering) through up in NYC and I am giddy with excitement to see you up there. My surreptitious goal in moving is to embrace that demanding atmosphere in NYC and force myself to grow as a person. Love the new blog, i added it to my google reader, and I'll see you in NYC!

    ReplyDelete