Friday, February 10, 2012

An Owl, a Hamster, a Fish, and the World's Cutest Vacuum

Yesterday when I was cleaning my room, I came across my Game Boy cartridge for Kirby's Dreamland 2. While looking at it and recalling the hours I spent playing it over the years, I couldn't help but think that the Kirby series has a very children's book-y aesthetic in terms of tone and characters. Naturally, my next thought was, "Hey, why don't I make a children's book-styled Kirby piece?!", so I made some rough sketches...




I would being doing the final in watercolor because I realized I haven't touched any medium aside from ink and markers since graduating. I don't have a particular favorite of the three, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Part of me thinks that they are each different enough that I could make them into a series...if I find the time. I am still working on some commission work, so these would just be a side-project for now.

Update on the Secret 7"/Florence + the Machine project: I am 99% sure I am not a part of the finalists. Since it is supposed to be a "secret", the winners are e-mailed individually as opposed to be announced on their website, and I haven't received an e-mail. I'm not bummed out at all; once I make the last few finishing touches, my entry will make a pretty rad portfolio piece. Oh, hey there silver lining.

2 comments:

  1. I think that these are different enough for you to make a series out of them... or at least pick two and do a set. I would have to say that my favorite is the middle one with the trees. The characters are interacting with the environment more, the composition is strong with definite foreground, middle ground and background, and I like how the trees silhouette into the background giving a sense of depth.

    Also, I always liked your watercolors. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like the middle one too for exactly those reasons, and it could have some great atmospheric lighting if done right.

      I think I will develop them all into a series at some point. I have actually grown a little attached to all of them. One can never have enough of cute animals, right?

      Delete