Friday, October 29, 2010

Experiments...

Recently I've been experimenting with evolving my style. I feel like my work has gotten way too "tight" and restrictive... stiff and stale. Not to mention that it takes me forever to finish a piece anymore because of my insistence on sticking to my graphite, watercolor, colored pencil and ink process. So here are some new things I've been trying out in my sketchbook. They're just the first baby steps, but, as always, I'd love to know what y'all think. Don't forget to click on the pictures so you can see the detail!






4 comments:

  1. I. Love. These.

    Seriously, Wow. I love this direction.

    The lost and found lines and patterning on the animals and feathers is stunning.
    The animals are spectacular. The silhouettes, with color fields, beautiful. The animals are perfect, but the person doesn't hit me as well. The animals have such interesting and realistic silhouettes, while the person looks out of place with the rest. I get these are experiments, and they are amazing experiments, but my suggestion would be to zoom in on the person, pick a pose that is elegant and with a good silhouette, and perhaps go a little more design-y realistic. You know, just a suggestion.

    On and thank you so much of the in depth crit on my Halls piece! I think I will sit down and put in a few more hours into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christina! These are fantastic! Love the pen and ink on the bottom birds. And, in contrast to Brendan's opinion, the fourth picture down (woman with poppies) is actually my favorite. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Hannah and Brendan!! I'm tickled pink that these are getting a good response because I'm really having fun with this style. There will be more up in the next few days so check back soon!

    Also, Hannah, it's great to hear from you!! I hope you're doing well. Give me a call sometime and we can catch up... I'm free all day most days :)

    Brendan... be warned. I'll be calling you in the very near future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. NICE NICE NICE - keep going. dont look back!

    ReplyDelete