Wednesday, September 15, 2010

From Thumb to Sketch!

So here is the drawing of the thumbnail you guys suggested I do. Yeah, took me forever. I gotta get my chops back. But I'm liking how it turned out.

Requesting crit. What looks weird that I cant see after emblazoning this image on my retinas?


After making any suggested adjustments I concur with, I'm going to do a rough digital color comp and post that. Then onto final paints!

And, bonus art! ...

Awhile ago this trailer for a French animated series was posted on Drawn.ca, one of my favorite illustration blogs, and I totally fell in love and had an eye-gasam.

Watch I now. I'll wait.

I did a fan art of it. I know right?
Luff you guys. Show me some more stuff. Annelise and Christina, yous two dolls slackin.

2 comments:

  1. Brendan! I don't know what it is, but you continue amaze me lately. I felt like I knew your stuff pretty well, but for some reason everything you've been posting on here is so different from what I'd expect from you.

    Anyway. I love the Dendrul piece. The expression on his face and the overall body language of the characters are great and I am totally lime green jeal-o at your ability to make awesome environments. I mean seriously. Lookit that. Bravo, sir.

    ALSO, I really like your hunchback monster-man. He looks like what I'd imagine the lovechild of Aughra (Saggy Boob Monster)and one of the urRu Mystics (Hairy Turtle Man-Thing) from The Dark Crystal would look like, except thankfully not as scary, cuz everything in that movie is nightmare fodder times ten. In fact, I think a little Dark Crystal/Black Cauldron eeriness would work well in terms of mood and tone with this piece when you color it.

    Last but not least: Baidir trailer? AWESOME. Your fart (fan-art)? AWESOME. I don't think I've ever seen you work in that style before? Have I? I dunno. Anyway, it looks good, kid. You done well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The scene sketch looks wonderful!! I love the hunchbacked gargoyle character and Dendrul's expression is great. Lots of personality!

    I only have two very tiny, very picky little things that you can feel free to ignore. One, the statue foot/leg with the vine in the bottom right corner should maybe break the picture plane on the right edge (or at least one or two of the leaves from the vine should). Two, the gargoyle guy's face and hand fall almost exactly at the center of the image. It's not a huge deal and I'm fairly sure that I'm just hyper sensitive to these things. Oh, and watch the gargoyle character's hand in relation to the base of the statue behind him. There's a little bit of a tangent in the way they line up. Again, all these things are super picky.

    The scene as a whole is superb and I appreciate the variety and detail of all the statues lining the hall. I can't wait to see what you do in the way of color and atmosphere.

    The Baidir clip was amazing! Thank you for sharing it and the fan art is, of course, pretty awesome too. You do so well breaking things down into flat color shapes. I love it.

    ReplyDelete